Gerald W. Askew, Patent and Trademark Attorney
I was born in Battle Creek, Michigan on February 20th, 1971. I have a BSME from Kettering University, which I obtained while working at Spartan Motors Corp. as a Project Engineer in the Advanced Engineering Department, designing bus and motor home chassis. For my undergraduate thesis, I helped design and analyze a heavy vehicle front independent suspension. I then joined Utilimaster Corp., acting as liaison between Utilimaster and several chassis manufacturers, and designing AC systems.
In 1997, I joined Navistar, Inc., as design engineer involved in frames, fuel systems, exhaust, and powertrain systems. After completing my MBA at Indiana Wesleyan University, I joined the IP Group of Navistar’s Law Department, first as Patent Engineer in 2003, and then becoming a Patent Agent in 2005. In this capacity, I ran the Truck Group Patent Management Committee and was the IP contact for the engineering staff of Truck Group. During this time, I also wrote and prosecuted patent applications, conducted training, developed engineering IP processes, and conducted competitive patent analysis.
In 2012, I graduated from Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law in Indianapolis, while still working full time as Patent Agent for Navistar’s IP Group. Once licensed as a Patent Attorney, I further provided IP guidance for Integrated Product Development, trademark licensing, portfolio management, and general agreement work having IP involvement. In 2014, I left Navistar and joined a local Fort Wayne area boutique Intellectual Property law firm. In 2017, I started my own practice. My areas of practice in patent law include searches, opinions, applications, prosecution, design-around consultation, license agreements, and development agreements. I am particularly adept in the mechanical arts, although I am capable of handling IP in other areas.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (Reg. No. 57,541)
- Supreme Court of Indiana (Reg. No. 30281-02)
- U.S. Circuit Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. Circuit Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- American Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Allen County Bar Association
- U.S. Patents No. 6,029,989; 6,076,844; 6,099,007; and 6,152,470 “Vehicle Access Step Assembly”
- U.S. Patent No. 6,412,586 “Toroidal Exhaust Vibration Absorber”
- U.S. Patent No. 7,614,475 “Longitudinal Stringer Exhaust Flex Pipe Assembly”
- U.S. Patent No. 8,307,630 “Engine Exhaust System having a Plurality of Diesel Particulate Filters”
- U.S. Patent No. 8,285,457 “Automatically Adjusting Side Mirror Assembly for a Vehicle”